A Black-Throated Blue Warbler with a Motus tag.
Tags are currently solely digitally coded Avian Nano-Tags manufactured by Lotek Wireless and BioTrack. Tags sizes range from ~0.2g to ~2.6g with a range in longevity from 20 days to 928 days depending on size of the tag and burst interval. Contact Motus if you would like to see if your tags are compatible.
Deploying tags as part of the Motus network involves the following steps:
- Register as a Motus User: Users wishing to deploy tags must first register as Motus users.
- Create a Project: Collaborators must create a project using the online data management tools in order to deploy tags.
- Purchase Tags: Select the tag specifications desired and purchase nanotags.
- Register Tags: WARNING: Tags MUST be registered with Motus prior to deployment. We strongly encourage you to test and register all tags immediately after receiving them to ensure they’re ready for deployment. Always check your Manage Tags page after registration to ensure they have all been uploaded correctly.
- Deploy Tags: WARNING: Tags must be activated and confirmed to be ON and emitting the expected ID before deployment. Several techniques exist to deploy Motus tags and more are being developed and tested. This document provides instructions for affixing tags to a variety of species. If your group uses different methods, or have any additional information, please contact Motus